I am an experienced microbiologist having had a long and varied career focused on foodborne pathogens.
LinkedIn profile: https://www.linkedin.com/in/andrewhudsonfoodmicrobiologist/
Below, in summary, are some highlights:
- Paper recently published on next generation sequencing and detection of pathogens in foods.
- Extensive experience with foodborne pathogens such as Campylobacter, Shiga-toxigenic Escherichia coli, Listeria monocytogenes, and others
- Conversant with contemporary methods for tracking bacteria in the food chain
- Knowledge of antimicrobial resistant bacteria; I have recently completed a review on such bacteria in the food chain, which is an area that will be of increasing concern to food retailers and producers
- Experience of working with the regulator; I have worked on projects for the competent authority both here (Food Standards Agency) and in New Zealand (Ministry for Primary Industries). Some examples of outputs include:
- Contributed to a microbiological risk assessment of raw milk consumption:
- h index 31 on Web of Science core collection (as of January 2021)
- Listed by the FSA as a specialist
- Underwent expert witness training with Bond Solon
- Information statement of STEC produced for the IFST https://www.ifst.org/resources/information-statements/shiga-toxin-producing-escherichia-coli-stec-food-poisoning-and-its
- Qualified high school teacher
- Ability to communicate; I was on the editorial advisory board for Food News and have published extensively in the peer reviewed (see Andrew’s publications) and grey literature. For something different have a read of the A to Z of food poisoning
- For magazine articles here are some topics that have been addressed
- Experience with the food industry; I have worked for a food industry organisation (The Meat Industry Research Institute of New Zealand) and with various food producers (meat products, seafood, dairy, prepared foods) and have been working on a hazard identification and prioritisation project for a British retailer
- Fellow of Institute of Food Science and Technology (FIFST) and the New Zealand Institute of Food Science and Technology (FNZIFST)
- Maintained a research interest in bacteriophages for several years and until recently led a small group. For more information have a look at an article on phages and food, thanks to New Food
- Co-author on the 3rd most cited paper published in Journal of Food Protection
- Subject matter expert for a FAO/WHO QRA on Listeria monocytogenes in the food chain
I am based in Stamford Bridge near York.